Tuesday 25 August 2009

Morgan Geist: We Make It Good Mix Series Vol. 10



The Fader just posted the latest in their We Make It Good Mix Series and when we saw they'd enlisted Morgan Geist to do the honours, we had to pass it along. A fine selection of dusty, midtempo disco gems from one half of Metro Area, playing a more cosmic style than he's known for but doing it with aplomb.

A few words from Mr. Geist:

"This little mix is obviously inspired by the original Cosmic DJs (Baldelli) and innovative DJs of (or nearer to) my own generation, like DJ Harvey and Daniel Wang. I made sure to include some records that I thought I “discovered” on my own, only to hear them played by other (better) DJs who probably knew about them a lot longer than I did. Parallel evolution is a bitch, but I didn’t want to abandon these beloved tracks just because they were “marked” by another DJ. For example, most DJs who know the Transfer Station Blue track associate it with Sarcastic Disco, the infamous and beautiful Harvey mix – yet I believe I got my first copy of it from my departed friend, Barry Lederer, and associate it with digging and listening and learning in his dusty old apartment on 24th Street in Manhattan. I find Harvey inspirational, but don’t want my own Barry-nostalgia supplanted. I realize it sounds corny, but sometimes you have to reclaim music that is important to you, and that’s what a lot of this mix is about for me." – Morgan Geist (Environ, Unclassics, Metro Area)

↓ Morgan Geist: We Make It Good Mix Series Vol. 10 ↓

MORGAN GEIST: myspace

Bookmark and Share

0 comments: